Generation Health is a FREE, family-based 10 week program held in communities across British Columbia.
Healthy weights in children and youth continue to be a priority in BC. Generation Health is a community-based “made in BC” childhood healthy weights early intervention program for families with children between ages 8 and 12 and are above the 85th percentile for BMI-for-age. The program uses a lifestyle behaviour approach to promoting healthy weights in children and youth.
” I like being with other kids and having fun” – Child, Generation Health
- Healthy eating habits
- Physical activity for all
- Healthy body image
The program includes:
10 weekly group sessions
- Sessions are 1.5 to 2 hours long and focus on healthy eating and active living, goal setting, family mealtimes and family physical activity, sleep hygiene, healthy body image and self-compassion, as well as positive parenting.
10 weekly online sessions
- Providing additional content including activities and recipes for families to try through the family portal.
4 additional group activities
- Including a grocery store tour and introduction to different activities and doing things together
- At the completion of the program participants will receive regular virtual check-ins and continued access to the family portal.
The program has been designed for families with children ages 8-12 years old who are off the healthy weights trajectory, meaning their Body Mass Index (BMI) for age is above the 85th percentile.
The following requirements must be met in order to register for the group program:
- Child is 8 to 12 years old with a BMI above the 85th percentile for age
- Parent/caregiver is able to attend all sessions with the child
” It was meaningful to be around a group of people that were like-minded, dealing with the same issues.” – Generation Health Parent
How to register for the Generation Health Program
Families can self-register for the program by calling Toll Free 1-888-650-3141 or emailing email@example.com. Program details including locations, dates can be found at www.generationhealth.ca.
The Generation Health Program aligns with existing childhood healthy weights programs e.g., Shapedown BC and the HealthLinkBC Eating and Activity Program for Kids; early intervention is one of six elements in B.C.’s Continuum for the Prevention, Management and Treatment of Health Issues Related to Overweight and Obesity in Children and Youth.