Early Intervention Program
Developing a family-based, ‘made in BC’ childhood healthy weights early intervention program
Healthy weights in children and youth continue to be a priority in BC. The Province has provided funding to the Childhood Obesity Foundation to develop and pilot a ‘made in BC’ early intervention program.
Childhood Obesity Foundation is aiming to develop a program that is fun, engaging, supportive, flexible, intentional and inclusive. This early intervention program will:
- Be tailored to BC families
- Be community-based
- Target school-aged children and youth who have a BMI-for-age > 85th percentile
- Cover topics such as physical activity, healthy eating, parenting practices and mental health
- Include program features such as:
- Group sessions for families (caregivers and children attending)
- Choice of activities that suit a family’s interests and situation
- Modular curriculum components providing flexibility to meet community needs
The aim is to have a small number of pilot programs available in Spring 2018 to test this new model. The program’s design will be evidence-based and the pilot is to undergo a process and outcome evaluation. Pilot communities have yet to be determined.
To find out more about the early intervention program please contact:
Karen Strange, Project Director, Early Intervention Program Pilot Project Karen@childhoodobesityfoundation.ca
Looking for more information on childhood healthy weights and the supports available for BC families?
Other childhood healthy weights programs available to BC families include Shapedown BC and the Healthy Eating and Activity Program for Kids. The new early intervention program will be informed by and align with these existing childhood healthy weights programs; early intervention is one of six elements in the BC Continuum for the Prevention, Management and Treatment of Health Issues Related to Overweight and Obesity in Children and Youth.
- Shapedown BC provides a free, multidisciplinary, healthy lifestyles approach for families with children/teens ages 6-17 years old who have weight management issues (Body Mass Index greater than the 97th percentile or between the 85th and 97th percentile if comorbidities are present). Physician referral required. For more information visit: http://www.bcchildrens.ca/our-services/clinics/shapedown-bc
- HealthLink BC Eating and Activity Program for Kids is a telephone based program designed to support BC children, teens and their families reach a healthy weight and improve their overall health and quality of life. Families work with a pediatric dietitian and a qualified exercise professional. The program is available to BC residents between the ages of 0-18 and their families. For more information visit: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthy-eating/healthy-weight/kids-program